Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pleasantly Surprised




Just last night I was in the car with a *very* pregnant friend on our way to the Just Between Friends consignment pre-sale (I love that place!) and out of the blue she said to me "You would be proud of D and I.  We have become serious breastfeeding advocates."  She then went on to tell me about the breastfeeding class they took and how it really opened up their eyes to, not only the benefits, but about all the misinformation surrounding breastfeeding. They went from being parents who did not care either way at the beginning of pregnancy to being adamant that mama's milk is all baby t.b.a. receives.


At first I was shocked to hear this.  Was this the same couple that just a few months ago I was weary to nurse without a cover around? Then, as she went on about their enlightenment I breathed a sigh of relief. Not because I was ever scared for baby or parents but because it is so incredibly wonderful to  hear that informed words did not fall on deaf ears.  I have always been very careful when giving out advise and information regarding any of the three Bs (babies, birth, breastfeeding) to friends because I know that it is a sensitive subject and you can easily offend people.  Especially mothers!  Out of this group of friends I was the only person who specifically wanted a natural birth and knew from the start that there was going to be absolutely no formula given to my babies. I know that some people have the view that I put to much emphases on 'natural' living and that they just do not get it, so it is very heartwarming to see people do the research themselves and independently come to the same outlook. 

Cheers to you mama and papa to be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment