Sunday, August 15, 2010

Introduction

I was recently inspired by life, and a friend, to start a blog. I have been so busy the past eighteen months that at first the notion of sitting down for even thirty minutes a day to work on this project seemed, well, impossible. Then, in the past two months my high-need daughter's sensibility took a dramatic turn towards relaxed and my preschooler has ceased his nightly tantrum throwing allowing me to get some much needed sleep. My free time has slowly been returning! I thought - no better way to fill that time in my day than to finally go back to school for my certificate in midwifery and to blog about the amazing journey.


I feel so absolutely blessed to have been introduced into the world of birth activism and the natural birth movement before I became pregnant with my first biological child.  Every day I am taken back by the lack of accurate information in our American culture when it comes to the elusive 3 Bs (birth, babies and breast-feeding). All women should demand facts and truth and band together in support to take birth back from the medical system that has turned  the arrival of new life into a multi billion dollar industry.  Profit should not dictate choice and should definitely not override truth and informed consent. 


Midwifery is birth in a natural form- support and expertise from women to women. A support system of women is vitally important to birth and allowing a laboring mother to act unhindered.  The relationship that a mother has with a continuous-care midwife is incredibly powerful.  It is entirely built around an earned trust that relaxes a birth room and allows new life to come into a peaceful, warm, loving room.  I experienced this relationship with my midwifes and now I look forward to experiencing this relationship as a midwife. I could not be happier with my life calling.

1 comment:

  1. Go get that certificate so you're ready when I get around to having babies! ;-)

    ReplyDelete